Thursday, June 16, 2011

Designing T-shirts for sports and for schools

I can't stand seeing lousy school t-shirts. 

Especially when shirts are sold at events or school sports games, to raise money. Usually, some random print shop "designs" a shirt from a book for you. Guaranteed, they'll get a piece of clip art form the 80's, and use Brush Casual™ font, usually all capitals, and voila! School Shirt! 

The schools then wonder why nobody buys them. As a designer, it drives me crazy...but I think I have design issues.  My feeling is, if you're paying for, and making a shirt, make it something special that somone may actually want to purchase, and a wearer may actually wear. So, at every opportunity I can, I try to design shirts for organizations I am in contact with. So here's a few I've done, mostly donating my time to school and local organizations.



When my daughter's Archbishop Wood Girls Basketball team won the Pennsylvania State Championships, I designed a shirt for the school, which was sold at Modells, and at school events, to help raise money for the Basketball program. 



Girls Volleyball shirt design for the Lady Vikings.






Philadelphia Belles Girls AAU BAsketball US Junior Nationals championship shirts.


FENCOR Girls Basketball Invitational Tournament shirt.



Council Rock Girls Soccer practice/school soccer shirt.


Lenape Valley PA, Running Rebels Championship Shirt. 



Several local baseball Championship/Tournament shirts.